Declaring 2024 as my year of saying ‘yes’ more


“If I don’t poke my head out of my shell and show people who I am, all anyone will ever think I am is my shell.”
– Shonda Rhimes, “Year of Yes”


Recently I reread the book “Year of Yes” by Shonda Rhimes.
Rhimes, who created “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Scandal,” and “How to Get Away with Murder,” wrote this book detailing her one-year experiment with saying “yes” and how it transformed her life.


Rhimes was miserable, working all the time and not socializing. One day, her sister told her, “You never say yes to anything.”
Those six words changed Shonda’s life, and she took up the challenge of a Year of Yes—to say yes to everything. This was the start of her incredible journey and transformation.
At times, my identity is tied more to being a journalist than a person. I know 80 percent of my life is devoted to work, but I want to lower the percentage to 50/50.


After rereading the book, I challenged myself to say “yes” more to events, adventure
s, and situations.
It started small by hanging out with a friend on New Year’s Eve instead of watching a
“Criminal Minds” marathon alone.
Instead of saying no to reading to a group of intermediate and middle school students, I took a deep breath and read the books. This was not easy because public speaking is not my thing.
In February, I was given tickets to attend a gala for the foundation at Richmond Community College. Instead of saying no and spending a Saturday night reading a Stephen King book, I got my hair done, put on a pretty dres
s, and headed to the gala with a friend.


Recently, the Cheraw Arts Commission had a chili cookoff and needed teams. I have loved making my white chicken chili for various newsrooms I have worked in through the years. When WCRE radio personality Angie Cee asked me if I would like to make the chili, I paused momentarily. Then, I sai
d, “Yes.” Now, I questioned the decision on March 2 when I was getting several pounds of chicken ready for the chili.


While my team, consisting of Angie, her husban
d, Ronald, and staff reporter Bennie Miles, didn’t win, we had the best time. I was beyond tired the next day, but I was proud of myself for saying yes. This book is terrific because it has made me reflect on my life. My mother died of breast cancer at the age of 53. I don’t want to waste my time here on earth being a workaholic.I learned many lessons from the book, but here are two that I am implementing in 2024.



First, say yes and then follow through with it. Rhimes said it is one thing to say yes and another to do it. Angie Cee wants to sing karaoke soon. I have said yes, but I am nervous about doing it. Years ago, someone told me my singing voice was so bad that it could scrape paint off the wall. I only sing in the shower or the car. Finally, say yes to who you are. I am a weirdo who owns too many books, loves cat
s, and wears dresses. It is who I am. Find and live your own happiness – even if it is two salty cats.
So here’s to saying yes, taking risk
s, and living life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stopping a downward spiral

COVID is the worst

BOOK REVIEW: The Other Emily by Dean Koontz