BOOK REVIEW: The Institute by Stephen King

I waited patiently for six months for Stephen King to release a new book.  It only took me about a week to finish the 500 plus pages of the new Stephen King novel, The Institute.

I will admit to wondering for the first part of the book about the night knocker but by the middle of the book, it all made sense
This book had me from the moment the parents of Luke Ellis were killed and he was kidnapped from his home in the middle of the night. Luke woke up in a room at the Institute, which was a secure compound hidden deep in the woods of Maine. Luke was in a room that looked exactly like his room at home except for the fact that there were no windows.

Luke is there because he displayed signs of psychic abilities, which will be advanced and exploited.
He started in the “front half” but all residents eventually graduate to the “back half,” which is bad. It is even worse to go to the “back half” of the “back half,” which is awful on a whole other level.
There were times I would have to stop reading because some of the incidents in the book made me furious or made me cry.
I think this book hit me so deeply because I have a 13-year-old and couldn’t imagine something like this happening to him.

The last few Stephen King books have left me feeling like he was rushing trying to finish them. The ending of this book was very satisfying.
I would describe The Institute as Carrie meets (the Netflix show) Stranger Things.
Stephen King is 72 years old and has published 61 novels. I tend to cherish each book that comes out because one day, he won’t be here to write. There is so much I could say but I don’t want to spoil the book for anyone who might want to read it.

I’ll just say when you read it, keep some Kleenex nearby.
Also, I wonder if this book will eventually be made into a movie or a limited TV series. It has all the necessary ingredients for it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stopping a downward spiral

BOOK REVIEW: The Other Emily by Dean Koontz

COVID is the worst