Winning a huge battle against ED

 
I met a Stormtrooper!
I did something last week that I never dreamed in a million years I would do. I was a judge at the Taste of Duplin. Various restaurants and caterers competed to see who had the best in certain categories and I was one of the judges.
I have come a long way in my recovery. I would not have been able to do this 5 years ago. Probably, I wouldn’t have been able to three years ago. I did it and I had a good time. 
And I didn't beat myself up about or restrict. YAY ME!!!
When I was asked by my publisher to be a judge, I didn’t hesitate for a second. The only question I asked was what time did I need to be there.
I can’t describe how it feels to have a semi-normal relationship with food. I think the last time I did was when I was 12 years old.
And you know something else, I have gotten my appetite back along with my stomach actually growling when I'm hungry. I can’t remember I ever having an appetite without the help of medication.
I have truly turned a corner in my recovery. Like an alcoholic, I will never fully be okay but I am doing it one day at a time.
I would like to share with you some of the food I judged. This was the first Taste of Duplin, which showcased various restaurants and caterers in Duplin County. It took my stomach two days to recover from the amount of food that I ate.
I am not a big fan of pork loin or turnip greens. But the Tour of Duplin, which was a pork loin served on sweet potatoes and topped with turnip greens was delicious. I wouldn’t have tried it on my own but I am glad I did.

Tour of Duplin
Another dish I sampled was a black eye pea salad. It was served cold and had peas, corn and peppers in it. It was different but soooo good.
I had some spicy fried chicken on a Sweet Potato Steamed served with Sweet Pickle.
Chicken Salad from the Filling Station. I didn’t know they made chicken salad. The Filling Station has an amazing menu but the only thing I order is a Grilled Cheese and crinkle cut French fries. I guess now I have a second thing to order.
The Barbecue Sliders from the Mad Boar Restaurant were amazing. They were served with macaroni and cheese.
I had a pimento cheese crostini from Southern Exposure Restaurant. Actually, I had several once the event started.

The Chicken Teriyaki from Tokyo Sunrise was delicious. And since the restaurant is right down the street from my office, I will probably go there more often.

I tried my first Ladyfinger from Ezzell’s Delightful Designs. It was delightful.
My favorite thing was Tabatha’s Cheesecake from the Bistro at Duplin Winery. It was a cheesecake bite. It was heavenly and smelled in my mouth.
The whole afternoon was like this with me trying menu items that were way out of my comfort zone.
This is one reason that I love my job so much. I get to try and experience many things that most people don’t have a chance. I feel so blessed to have these opportunities. Plus, I got to sample these peanut butter chocolate cupcakes that are out-of-this world.
Overall, I had a good time. My fellow judges were seasoned folks, who know their way around a plate. I was just a novice, who appreciated being invited to the foodie dance.
I have turned a corner in my recovery. I am so happy I could do a little dance. Instead, I'm going for ice cream!

DAILY DOSE
1. Making great strides against ED!
2. Riding my first ferry! (A story for another post!)
3. Attending a party and being semi-sociable!

Comments

  1. wow! This is huge in terms of recovery!!!! Isn't it crazy and wonderful when we find ourselves doing things that used to terrify us or make us fearful and anxious?? I am so happy to read this post and to hear you feeling proud of yourself :) I love moments like these!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

COVID is the worst

BOOK REVIEW: The Other Emily by Dean Koontz

Today was a fairytale