Hollering Contest and other adventures

Have you ever been so busy that you didn't know if you were coming or going? This is how my life has been lately.
Last night for the first time in awhile, I was home on a Monday night and wasn't sure what to do.
On Saturday (Sept. 6), I attended the National Hollerin' Contest in Spivey's Corner for the first time and it was quite interesting for me.
I have wanted to go ever since I drove through Spivey’s Corner in 2001 to a job interview in Mount Olive.
As I traveled down Highway 13 and into Spivey’s Corner, I saw a sign that said “Third Saturday in June.”
I wondered what in the world did that mean. Did this town have its own version of “The Lottery” from that story by Shirley Jackson?
It had me wondering until I found out about the Hollerin’ Contest.
Since 1969, the National Hollerin’ Contest has been held there and is the main fundraiser for the Spivey’s Corner Volunteer Fire Department.
In its heyday, between 5,000 to 8,000 people came out to this event.
In 2013, the contest was moved from the third Saturday in June to September and combined it with the Hollerin’ Heritage Festival.
The festival was a daylong event and featured several living history exhibits inside the firehouse on biscuit, butter and sausage making.
I had really wanted to attend the biscuit making demonstration because the biscuits I make can be classified as an assault weapons.
The various Hollerin’ contests didn’t start until 4:30 p.m. with the National Hollerin’ Contest at 6 p.m.
So during my feeble attempts to stay dry while waiting, I learned how to churn butter and how to make tar and pitch.

I also had a chance to try my first funnel cake. Yes, I had never tried a funnel cake until Sept. 13, 2014. Why? Because when I go to the fair, there are tons of other things like deep fried Oreos, chicken on a stick and cotton candy that interest me more than a funnel cake.
None of these things were there so I tried a funnel cake topped with powder sugar and caramel. It was AWESOME!!
Due to all the rain, the various Hollerin’ contests were moved to the “porch” of the fire station.
For those who don’t know, there is a difference between hollering and hollerin’.
Hollering is “STOP OR I’LL HIT YOU WITH A CAN OF PEAS.”
For any of us with sibling, we know exactly what hollering is.
Hollerin’ is an art form that has different calls ranging from good morning to distress. Before texting and telephones, this was the form of communication.
Despite the rain and mud, people stayed and waited for the contests to begin.
It started with the Whistling and Conk Shell Blowin’ Contests.

Other contests included the Teen Hollerin’ and the Ladies Callin’ contest. These are not contests that you just wake up the morning of and decide to enter.
To me, they have learned a dying tradition and took pride in being able to share it with others.
Overall, it was a nice way to spend a Saturday evening. I had a chance to learn about hollerin’ and have some homemade sausage and ice cream.
And due to all the rain, I ended up kind of mud bogging. My car got stuck in the mud and I had to be pushed out by Spivey’s Corners fire fighters. My car looked like I had spent the evening mud bogging. 
What a way to spend a Saturday night. 
In mental health news, I had my first appointment with my therapist on Wednesday, Sept. 3.
I really like her and feel like she is going to make a difference.

I am afraid however that I will not be able to afford her. Insurance is such a tricky these days. I am thankful to have it. However, it is much easier to be healthy.
I learned yesterday that there is a $2,500 deductible. I haven’t used it at all this year.
What I learned both scared and angered me. I made the visit thinking there was $45 co-pay, No. The actual cost for the visit is $164. They weren’t sure if I had reached the deductible (I haven’t) so they charged me 40 percent, which was $65. I was not expecting this but paid it.
I found out that future visits are going to probably be $164 a visit. I can’t afford this but this is how it will be at many places.
It was a very defeating moment to know that you need help, have insurance but can’t really afford it.
I had an hour long assessment with the therapist. I really feel comfortable with her but that is a lot of money. As I told her, I guess I will be seeing her every other month.
I made the decision to get back on meds but she can prescribed and to see someone in their offices is a $200 visit.
I was given a tip on having my family provider provide the prescription so I could at least have meds.
Since moving here, it has been a bitch getting in to see a provider. Right now, I am suppose to see the provider on Oct. 2 but just realized that is the same day as a big meeting I have to cover and can’t miss.
When I called to reschedule, the next appointment is in November. I can’t wait that long for meds. I am still managing things with mediation, prayer and logic but I don’t know how long I can do it.
I can’t afford for something crazy to happen so I am looking for another family doctor who can see me sooner.
So I will keep you posted on how the search is going.
DAILY DOSE
1. Another newspaper is completed!!!
2. Being able to just breathe!
3. The Blacklist returns soon!

Comments

  1. Hi Jacqueline, remember how I asked you if you would do an interview for me for a university course I am doing? I was wondering you would interested still? It's a different course but I have to write a feature article and I would love to do it on you if you would be okay with it? I'll be fine if you say no, Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. My email is littlemissmoo2@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stopping a downward spiral

COVID is the worst

BOOK REVIEW: The Other Emily by Dean Koontz