Staying busy


It has been a busy few days. As a reporter, I never know how my day will go. For instance on Friday, I left my apartment thinking I would write at my desk all day, take a break for lunch, write more and head out to Relay for Life.

I did write. I wrote seven stories while listening to a variety of 80s music, I also had to track down information about a murder and a meth bust.

Crime is my Achilles heel. It is my absolutely worst thing to cover.I ended up getting the information.
My day ended with the Duplin County Relay for Life. Relay for Life is a great event, which raises a lot of money for the American Cancer Society.

It is a hard event for me. I feel like an awful person because I was sitting there miffed because my mother isn’t one of the survivors.

I will admit that this year was the first Relay where I wasn’t angry. Just miffed. The Duplin County Relay is undergoing some revamping and smaller than what it has been in years past. But the people on the committee, the survivors and those attending had heart. It was a small event with a lot of heart.
You couldn’t help but feel inspired sitting beside a man who had lost parts of his face to cancer and was happy to be alive.

Are seeing cancer survivors almost skip around the track because they are alive.
I have never had cancer and pray that I never do but I have seen how it affects those close to me. It is an awful and rotten disease that does not discriminate.

I am happy for those who wear the purple survivors shirts. They have earned them. Cancer is war.
A person is fighting for the life. They are given chemicals that  essentially break them down to get to the cancer.

It has taken three years and several Relays for me to get to this point where my anger is finally disspating.

I  think the reason Relay has always been assigned to me each year is because of God.
It is his way of showing me that there is no good in holding onto anger. Through Relay, I have met a lot of good people who have survived cancer and I have met families who have lost people.
It is an honor to be able to share their stories with others. I think my mother would be proud of this.

DAILY DOSE
1. Sometimes you have to take each day one step at a time!
2. Having insurance is awesome!
3. Looking forward to covering the Carolina Strawberry Festival this weekend. Maybe I will find some chicken on a stick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stopping a downward spiral

BOOK REVIEW: The Other Emily by Dean Koontz

COVID is the worst