Before my insurance went on hiatus, my therapist gave me an assignment--to write a list of things to make me happy. When I see her in December, she expects to see the list.
Writing the list was kind of hard for me. I mean I know the number one thing that makes me is happy is the not-so-little guy but what else.
Here's what I have so far:
- Spending time with son JJ
- Reading a good book outside
- Listening to music
- Dancing to 80s music in my living room
- Having a good relationship with God
- Reading a Sunday newspaper
- Taking a walk
- Helping others
- Spending time with my friends
- Watching Criminal Minds
- Creating something
- Walking through the stacks at the library
- A night out on the town dancing
- Cooking a meal
- Catching up with a old friend
- Mending fences
- Getting lost in a new place and enjoying it
- Taking a train to DC
- Good food, great friends and a bottle of wine
- Taking a drive in the country
- Looking at the world from the perspective of a child
- Laughing with my best friend
- Sitting on the deck
- Having a healthy child
- Enjoying a lazy Sunday afternoon on the couch with a remote and a stack of magazines
- Going to the movies
- Mediating in the morning
- First cup of morning coffee
- Smiling when I feel excited
- Checking the mailbox
- Homemade chicken fettucini
- Drinking orange soda
- Eating a brown mule
- Walking barefoot on the beach
- Swinging on the swings at the park
- Being healthy enough to enjoy of all of the things that make me happy
- Being secure in my geekiness
These are the things that make me happy. And whenever I am down or discouraged, I will look at this list to remind me.
1. Being able to come in at 10 a.m. for work.
2. Finding the Directv music channels. I relieved the 80s as I dressed for work.
3. Enjoying the beautiful day!