Friday, July 6, 2012

Survival of the fittest


Being a reporter is something a person must want to do. You are not doing it for the money. I do it because I want people to be informed about what is going on their community. When I came to RR, I took a pay cut because I wanted to work at a daily newspaper. I don’t regret it. I have to admit the last few months have been rough. My expenses have increased while my pay has stayed the same. I used my savings to get by. It has been frustrating but I am surviving--barely. Each time, I get paid I make sure child support is paid and I have medication. If those two are covered, then the rest will fall in place.

I am writing this because writing my feelings has always made me feel better. It was the reason I started this blog when I was unemployed. I needed a voice. 
I am tired of struggling. I have been told maybe I need to find a new line of work. But what would I do. Writing is my talent. I have worked in restaurants as a server but I suck at basic customer service. I try really hard but I not the outgoing girl. But give me a pad and a pen, I can tell a person’s life story.

Thank God for my meds because I don’t think I could make it. I don’t want to move home without a job. So I have made some plans.
Plan A involves getting another job closer to home. With the price of gas, I have cut down on the number of trips home to see JJ. 
But it looks like maybe Plan A won’t happen so I have a Plan B.
This involves getting a part-time job during the weekends. I applied at a Subway convenience store but didn’t get it.

I have been careful about what jobs and where I apply because as a reporter I am little noticeable in the community. So I am looking in Virginia.
Sometimes we do what we have to do to survive. I have given up the extras like cable and internet. I cook more and eat out less. I have cut every corner I can think of. I have sold my DVDs and eaten Ramen noodles. I had to make a choice between electricity or having air conditioning. Electricity won so I have been using fans to keep cool. Thank God I am a work-a-holic so I stay cool for the hottest part of the day. 

On the days I don't work, I usually visit the library or work as a cooling station. This weekend, I am participating in a yard sale to make some extra cash.
I am not looking for pity. I just needed to say all of this because deep down inside I am scared. It is getting harder and harder to make ends meet. I just don't know what to do.
And during all of this, ED has tried to come calling but I  have shown her the door. I don't have time for it.

DAILY DOSE
1. Lounging around the house in a bikini.
2. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
3. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger!

3 comments:

  1. It's so true. Life really is hard. Just making ends meet can be rough. I'm so sorry that you are struggling so much. I've been where you are in a hot apartment and not able to afford AC. I used to frequent the library to keep cool on the weekends too. It's too bad writing doesn't pay better because it's an awesome career. Maybe you can write a book on the side and end up a rich published author! Well, you never know right? I hope that things start to look up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to write and you need your meds. I don't know your living situation but is it possible to share a place with someone so your bills are lightened. And the child support thing...is there a way to go to court and have it modified? Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am sorry! I am going through similar circumstances...I just completed graduate school, and I don't have a job. So I also am struggling to make ends meet. I know how hard it is to survive on a journalist's wages. I left journalism for grad school in spite of loving much of what I did so I can get a better job. Perhaps you could write in another venue? That is what I am going to try and do, and perhaps also combine my writing with social work (I have a psychology degree.)

    I also know when struggling, that is when ED can rear its ugly head. Please be careful! Make sure your medications come first.

    Remember: we are always writers, no matter what.

    I hope all of this makes sense. I'm not feeling the best, so I'm sure I sound a bit disjointed.

    {{{Hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete

A whole new world

Well, it is official. I am the mom of a sixth grader. I can't believe JJ has grown up so fast. It seemed like yesterday that he was ...