Paying it forward

For the last few months, I have had a rough time with ED. Some days almost paralyzing. Many have been in my corner but my co-worker and friend D has been there with mixture of compassion and tough love. I have wondered if I would ever be able to pay her back for all she has done.

Today, I have the chance. She called me this morning with some very sad news. Her 18-year-old daughter found out her son has died in utero. She was about four or five months pregnant. I know what she is going through. I have been in her shoes. It was hard for me in my 30s. I can't even begin to imagine being what she is feeling but I have a pretty good idea. In a moment like this, you need your mommy. And mine was there for me during this devastating time. I told that her daughter needs her mom. I would work for her with no questions asked. It will be rough because the other reporter is on his honeymoon. Years ago, at my other paper, everyone took care of me. I will take care of D in the only way I can--by giving her time with her daughter. Sometimes the best medicine is mom.

From what D told me, the baby has some developmental issues and probably passed away about a week ago. Her daughter is devastated and will have to have a D &C tomorrow. D has to work since it is my day off. I told her I will work for free in order for her to be at that D & C. I calmly told her what it was like to have a D & C when you were six months pregnant. It is heart breaking. I told her--"Your daughter needs you. Screw the newspaper."

DAILY DOSE


1. Surviving my whirlwind of a Saturday--Working, attending a wedding, working, going to the reception, working


2. Knowing the value of being a mother


3. Sitting by the window enjoying a rainy day

Comments

  1. You are such a kind and good soul. I'm so sorry things have been tough for you lately, but I am so very proud of you - you are a fighter and a survivor!

    {{{Hugs}}}
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know you are awesome? If not, then you do now. I'm sure some of this bought up your own memories, so I hope you're okay. As for ED, kick is sorry butt as hard as you can. Thinking of you!
    *hugs*
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a strong post. you have always been a wonderful mother and you stick to the values of being one. I'm very proud of you, I wish D knew what an honour it is to have you as a friend.
    stay strong, you are the most inspirational person I know at Blogger :)

    have a lovely (busy) week, honey

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so awesome of you! If more people stepped up in that way the world might be a very different place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stopping a downward spiral

BOOK REVIEW: The Other Emily by Dean Koontz

COVID is the worst