Skip to main content

Working on the balance

Today, I did two things I haven't done in a longtime. I left work at 5 p.m. I can't remember the last time I left work at 5 p.m. It was so weird. My fellow reporters were stunned but happy.

The other thing was to have a sat down and eat lunch on a plate. A lunch not eaten on the run or in my car. It felt good. D and I had a chance to dish about work and life.

I am not 100 percent yet but I'm getting there. My mom had her chemo today. I feel bad that I will not be able to be there this weekend but I am in no shape to be around her. I will be so glad when I get well. Thank God, I am in better physically condition now that two years ago. I would be in a hospital right now.

So the evening has spend putting up laundry from three weeks ago and reading magazines. Relaxation is hard. I truly have forgotten what it was like. Monday is my day off and I am going to this cool bird sanctuary with D. She is doing a story for a special section and I get to tag along. It should be fun and relaxing. It will be hot but fun. It is a way to work on the balance. I'll take my digital camcorder and record some stuff.

Daily Dose

1. Carrot Cake

2. Planning a day trip to Virginia

3. Just relaxing and enjoying life


  1. I'm glad you left work on time (not early, but ON TIME, trust me) and had a relaxed lunch. I'm pretty adamant about getting home from work at a reasonable hour and taking time to enjoy meals. My ongoing sanity depends on it ;)

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stopping ED from gaining

One of the hardest things I had to ever do was to explain my ED to my 11-year-old son. His father had talked to him about it, which I have an issue with  because it is my story and not his. But I have tried to move beyond that.

Anyway, a few weeks I talked to him about it and explained it as best I could. I told him how he is my inspiration to stay in recovery. I know he needs his mom to be healthy to help handle growing up.
One thing I told him was that my relationship with food is not like his relationship. And there will always be a struggle for me. I take it one meal at a time.
I kept all of this in mind when I went to the doctor yesterday to ask for help. In the past three months, my appetite has disappeared. I eat because I don’t want to pass out or to be hospitalized. It hasn’t been easy. I could have let ED win when I realized what was happening. I have only lost 11 pounds. To some this is not much weight but to me it is.
The old me would have been happy about it. The recovering…

Spending time with my son

Memorial Day is always special for me as a reporter and a person. It is a chance to recognize who gave their life so I and others can have the freedom we have. 
Normally, I work and get to take Memorial Day holiday on another day. This year, I got a double bonus. 

I got to spend the long weekend with my son. Things some how worked that my son’s aunt met me halfway and JJ was able to spend three days in Pickle Land with me. He had a chance to see me working and spend quality time together.

JJ is now 11. He is squarely in the pre-teen world. His voice is changing along with other things. My baby is growing up and it scares me. He got to see my new teeth and loved them. He said it was nice to see me so happy. 
We had a chance to talk and just spend some time together. And in two weeks, he returns for a two week involving my week long vacation and a bunch of day camps. It has been a good few days.
The other part is my Memorial Day weekend is this weekend. I'm going to the Lake to hang with…

Adventures at Librari-Con with Samurai Batman

Recently, JJ and I made our second journey to the 11th annual Librari-Con at the Cumberland County Public Library in Fayetteville.  This is an annual anime/graphic novel/sci-fi mini convention that featured anime viewing, panels forums, Artist Alley, Cosplay Runway and more.
What made this event super awesome was the fact that the library was opened at the same time of the event.
For a year, JJ had talked about having a costume after not being able to wear one last year. He was a Samurai Batman.
Apparently, JJ had a growth spurt in the last few weeks so there was struggle getting him into his costume, but a little pulling, binder clips and prayer got the costume on him.

I decided to go as my favorite thing – a mother/photographer/bodyguard/book nerd wearing a Wonder Woman shirt.
JJ decided to add his own special touch to it with a trident and a Flash mask for me. I’m not sure what I was supposed to have been but I played along until lunchtime.
For the first hour, he played free video game…