Saturday, February 13, 2010

Best Friday in a longtime

Thursday was an interesting and long day. It started with doing many interviews at a high school. It ended with me interviewing a couple who had been married for 60 years. They were so cute and had a great story. Doing recon at a PTA meeting. And finally covering a meeting of a group planning to sue the school system I covered. I got home at 10 p.m. tired. After an hour break, I wrote the story and went to bed at 1 a.m.

I woke up early to write another story and to check the weather. Surprise, surprise--more snow in the forecast. I don't think I will ever make it home again until the spring. So I arrived at work in a foul mood. Plus, I am bummed about Valentine's Day. My husband has met someone. So I wasn't really looking forward to go home.

I think my co-worker knew this so yesterday after deadline, we went roaming. First to Big Lots to buy V-day candy for the newsroom. Then to Food Lion to find a flower for the design editor. We discovered that Dollar General is closing so we had to do some discount shopping. And finally to the community college bookstore for pens. I am a pen freak. There I say it. There are five coffee mugs on my desk full of pens. This is in addition to the primo ones in my bag. The bookstore manager is a pen freak so it will be great source of pens.

After the returning to the paper, we stayed for 30 minutes. Grabbed a fellow reporter and decided to use our gift certificates to go to this cool resturant down the street. I don't do well eating with others. It is something I have worked hard on. I did pretty good with them. We talked shop and ate some great food. I had broccoli and cheese quiche that came with a fruit salad. It was wonderful. Great food and great conversation.

When we finally returned to work, I wrote three stories. It was one of the best Fridays I have had in a longtime. Even though, I feel conflicted being away from my son and my mother. I am glad I work there.

My mother will find out about her test results soon. Her surgery for her arm is Feb. 22. She can't wait. I can't imagine having basically a broken arm for three weeks and it not being set. She is miserable.

Daily Dose

1. Getting my laundry done so I can wear my favorite jeans.

2. One of my favorite movies, Pretty Woman, comes on tonight.

3. Just vegging!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comment! I so love the cat pictures, they always make me laugh. Call me strange, but I seem to understand cat facial expressions. I got to pat a cat today, it's been a while, and all she was thinking was get this bloody baby talking stupid woman away from me, lol! I admire you for becoming a journalist. This was what I studied to become at uni but I couldnt'do it. I hated the way all the newspapers talked about mental health issues and at the time, this was my life. Plus I couldn't handle the deadlines. My writing only comes when it wants to come, not when the editor needs to piece.
    Sarah :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Silly Girl,

    LOL! I'm a pen freak, too. I've lost count of how many I have and whatever paper I'm writing on, depends on the pen I use. What's that all about?

    It sounds like you had a great day with good friends and good food. Those are the best kind.

    Happy Valentine's Day Silly Girl.

    I'm sending prayers to your mom.

    ReplyDelete

Stopping ED from gaining

One of the hardest things I had to ever do was to explain my ED to my 11-year-old son. His father had talked to him about it, which I have...