Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Back to School

I spend my day at a local high school today doing stories. It brought back memories of high school. I am not one of those people who wants to return and relive their high schoold days. High school wasn't bad but it sure as hell wasn't comfortable.

I worked on three stories for the newspaper. I also had a chance to speak to a high school class about journalism. Public speaking isn't my thing but I think I did okay. The questions they asked were very good. I tried to give them a realistic view of journalism.

I did good today considering I didn't sleep very well last night. The teacher said conveyed how much I loved my job. And I do so much.

In high school, I wasn't popular. I was kind of a loner floater. I had friends in different groups. I was mostly teased by other African American kids for acting "too white". The reason was because I had excellent grades and a plan for the future. I survived high school, got the diploma and haven't been back. Not even for a reunion. I have reconnected with some on Facebook.

Being there today brought back some memories. Some were good and some were bad. If I could go back in time, I would tell all the naysayers to screw it.

Daily Dose
1. I am starting to figure who I am and who I am meant to be
2. To be able to look in the mirror with no clothes on without flinching
3. Eating lunch without stressing or overthinking.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not one who loved high school either... it's weird how I'm so into higher education now!!

    <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who needs high school? Sometimes I want to rush in and save some of the kids in there. :)

    ReplyDelete

Adventures at Librari-Con with Samurai Batman

Playing video games Recently, JJ and I made our second journey to the 11th annual Librari-Con at the Cumberland County Public Library i...