Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A bit bummed

One of my goals has to been to donate blood. When I relapsed hard about two years ago, my weight dropped which meant I couldn't donate. I don't have much in life but I feel I can do my part and donate. The newspaper where I work sponsored a blood drive. I've known about it for a week so I prepared myself for it. Today was the big day. I waited two hours in line. The nurse prick my finger to check my iron and said my iron was to low. It was 11.9. You need a 12.5. I was absolutely heartbroken. I really wanted to donate. I work on my iron count and go donate somewhere in two weeks. The old me would have dwelled on this and used it as an excuse to restrict.

Today, I covered the trustee meeting at the commmunity college. While some find these things boring, it was quite fastinating. Plus I got a ton of story ideas out of one two hour meeting. And afterwards, they had mini Chick-filet sandwiches and fruit. I had nice little lunch that I washed down with some lemonade. I love the life of a journalist.

Daily Dose

1. Watching the joy of the first day of school

2. Being able to watch two squirrels fight over an acorn.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry you couldn't donate! The good thing is that blood donation can be done at any time, so if your iron levels go up, you can donate then :) It's great that you want to contribute that way.
    It's also great that you love your job so much. Your enthusiasm definitely comes through in your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the goal you have about donating blood. I did that for years until I had a bad donating experience where my blood clotted and it wouldn't work.

    Hang in there -- it is wonderful to think your goal involves giving back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to donated blood on a regular basis, until I developed anorexia. My iron got really low, so you want to make sure you keep an eye on it. I ended up taking iron pills twice a day for four months, because my blood was so depleted of iron.

    Try to get completely better first; then you should be able to donate blood. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

Stopping ED from gaining

One of the hardest things I had to ever do was to explain my ED to my 11-year-old son. His father had talked to him about it, which I have...