Visiting 'home'

Riding in the convertible!
Happy belated Independence Day!

For the first time in forever, I had the Fourth of July off. Actually, it was three days. And it was amazing. It was a chance to visit Eastern North Carolina. I consider this area home because it is the place where I feel like I found myself.

I hadn't been back since I moved in February. I have been homesick so I didn't want to go back. When I left SC on July 5, I was more than ready to go back. I just meandered up I-95.

I exited after Fayetteville because I wanted to have a pit stop in Goldsboro, NC so I could go to my favorite Goodwill and hit up Books-a-Million. 

I never go thrift store shopping with a clear goal in mind. I always start in shoes and then head to dresses. I take a break and go to books. Then it is back to skirts and shirts. I have mastered the art of the scan while making my way down the different rows. Overall, I brought some books, a purse and a cool pair of boots.

Once back on the road, I headed for exit 171 for Roanoke Rapids, NC. I lived there for almost five years. It was there I felt like I got my groove back, met my best friend and made other friends. I was able to work at a daily newspaper and get lots of magazine writing experience. It was a good experience. 

Beautiful Lake Gaston


I stayed at Lake Gaston with my best friend. It was a nice relaxing vacation with good food, plenty of conversations and some adventures. My favorite was heading to the Donut Shop in South Hill, Va. Those were some good doughnuts and the bacon was very crispy. South Hill has a really cool Goodwill, where I was able to add to my clothing collection. My bestie brought a convertible so we rode in it with the top down.
Back home with Agent Kitty, who was grumpy that I had been gone.

While on vacation, I went to visit some friends who were under the weather. My friend and mentor Gary had just had heart surgery so I wanted to check in on him. My friend Ruth can no longer use her right hand so I wanted to see how she was doing. It was nice to visit places I consider home.

Today, I'm a little sad because I miss my friends. I am still adjusting to South Carolina and trying to make new friends. But making friends is not easy when you are an older adult. I won't have much time to ponder this because I am about to move from one part of Bville to another part. I'm excited because it has a sunroom, which I plan to turn into my library.


DAILY DOSE OF GRATITUDE
1. I am happy to be healthy.
2. Tahitian Treat to drink
3. Packed and ready to move!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stopping a downward spiral

BOOK REVIEW: The Other Emily by Dean Koontz

COVID is the worst