Skip to main content

12 inches of rain in three hours and other adventures...

It has been quite a day in RR. We got 12 inches of rain in a few hours which resulted in massive flooding around the city. This was the perfect day to curl up with a good book. But not for me, it was my weekend to work.

My day at 8 a.m. started with several texts on the situation. As I started my 5 minute commute, I noticed several yards that looked like rivers.

I drove through this  "lake".  In the future, I will be much more careful.
 Let me preface what I am about to say with I am okay. Emergency management says never to cross standing water on a road. I did and as I was in the middle of doing it, I thought you are so stupid for doing this. I made it to the other side safely. And after thanking God, I vowed never to do this again.  My five minute commute took about 20 minutes because most of my normal route was under water.

This is not a pond but a road and someone's yard in RR.
Today, I have been from side of the city to another. RR is home to 15,000 people so you can imagine how big it is. I have been to places that I didn't even know existed in this city.

My home is okay with no flooding. I have talked with people who had cars and homes under water and had to be evacuated by boat. I feel so blessed. I am exhausted but I know I will be able to go home and climb into my cozy bed. Most of these people will be at Recreation Center on a cot.

I have seen some amazing and scary things today. I am glad I was able to play a part in keeping people informed about what was going on. I feel satisfied but tired.


1. Caffeine and I have become bff.

2. Skittles are great for a quick sugar buzz.

3. Being able to do my job!


  1. Glad you made it home alive. I think all of us would do the same thing even though we are told not to.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spending time with my son

Memorial Day is always special for me as a reporter and a person. It is a chance to recognize who gave their life so I and others can have the freedom we have. 
Normally, I work and get to take Memorial Day holiday on another day. This year, I got a double bonus. 

I got to spend the long weekend with my son. Things some how worked that my son’s aunt met me halfway and JJ was able to spend three days in Pickle Land with me. He had a chance to see me working and spend quality time together.

JJ is now 11. He is squarely in the pre-teen world. His voice is changing along with other things. My baby is growing up and it scares me. He got to see my new teeth and loved them. He said it was nice to see me so happy. 
We had a chance to talk and just spend some time together. And in two weeks, he returns for a two week involving my week long vacation and a bunch of day camps. It has been a good few days.
The other part is my Memorial Day weekend is this weekend. I'm going to the Lake to hang with…

Stopping ED from gaining

One of the hardest things I had to ever do was to explain my ED to my 11-year-old son. His father had talked to him about it, which I have an issue with  because it is my story and not his. But I have tried to move beyond that.

Anyway, a few weeks I talked to him about it and explained it as best I could. I told him how he is my inspiration to stay in recovery. I know he needs his mom to be healthy to help handle growing up.
One thing I told him was that my relationship with food is not like his relationship. And there will always be a struggle for me. I take it one meal at a time.
I kept all of this in mind when I went to the doctor yesterday to ask for help. In the past three months, my appetite has disappeared. I eat because I don’t want to pass out or to be hospitalized. It hasn’t been easy. I could have let ED win when I realized what was happening. I have only lost 11 pounds. To some this is not much weight but to me it is.
The old me would have been happy about it. The recovering…

Adventures at Librari-Con with Samurai Batman

Recently, JJ and I made our second journey to the 11th annual Librari-Con at the Cumberland County Public Library in Fayetteville.  This is an annual anime/graphic novel/sci-fi mini convention that featured anime viewing, panels forums, Artist Alley, Cosplay Runway and more.
What made this event super awesome was the fact that the library was opened at the same time of the event.
For a year, JJ had talked about having a costume after not being able to wear one last year. He was a Samurai Batman.
Apparently, JJ had a growth spurt in the last few weeks so there was struggle getting him into his costume, but a little pulling, binder clips and prayer got the costume on him.

I decided to go as my favorite thing – a mother/photographer/bodyguard/book nerd wearing a Wonder Woman shirt.
JJ decided to add his own special touch to it with a trident and a Flash mask for me. I’m not sure what I was supposed to have been but I played along until lunchtime.
For the first hour, he played free video game…