BOOK REVIEW: Tokyo Ever After by Emiko Davis

 Reading has always been one way for me to cope with a bad day or a way to take a break from the world.

I did not realize how much I needed an escape until I read “Tokyo Ever After.” This was the book I needed during a very busy and complicated time.

This book by Emiko Davis was a combination of the movies “What a Girl Wants” and “The Princess Diaries.” Mixed in with some cool narration and an Asian twist and you have “Tokyo Ever After.”

Izumi Tanaka has never felt like she fitted in as a Japanese American in her northern California town. Raised by her single mother, Izumi has never known who her father was. But then Izumi finds a clue to her previously unknown father’s identity in a book her mother has. He is none other than the Crown Prince of Japan and this means Izumi is a princess. Soon, Izumi is traveling to Japan to meet the father she never knew and discover the country she always dreamed of visiting. She learned quickly that it would not be all fun and games being a princess. 

Izumi dealt with lots of traditions and customs, Japanese press, and family. It was remarkably interesting to see how she balanced both worlds. I cannot imagine being on the verge of graduating from high school and having to learn to be a princess while trying to figure out who I am and what I want to do with my life.

The author did not make her transformation from an American to a princess an instant transformation. It was gradual and you got to see the screwups and bumps. She did not grow up as royalty but did an amazing job learning so quickly. I learned a lot about Japanese royalty that I did not know.

 It was a very quick read. I wish it would have been a little longer and a little more focused on the romance aspect but overall, I was incredibly pleased. This book was a young adult version of a Hallmark channel movie. I enjoyed finding out if Izumi would crumble under the weight of the crown, or would she live out her fairy tale.

My only issue with this book was the ending. But now that I know there will be a sequel to it in 2022, I am feeling much better. 
Also, I received this advanced copy from the book’s publisher Flatiron Books. The book will be released on May 18. 




.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID is the worst

BOOK REVIEW: The Other Emily by Dean Koontz

Stopping a downward spiral