Finding a new hobby


Before with the stool

I am a bit of a workaholic. I admit a do spend a lot of time at my desk. A few weeks ago, I was having a conversation with my son about hobbies. He plays a lot of video games and I joked he needed to get a hobby. He told me that my hobby was work. It kind of hit a nerve. I love to read in my spare time but I would like to have a hobby. So I started looking at different things. I thought about knitting  but I don't have that kind of patience.

Then I saw on Facebook where The Village Marketplace in downtown Bennettsville was doing private one-on-one paint classes. The post asked, "Want to learn how to re-create a piece you have?"
I thought I know of an item that needs to be refresh.  So for my recent Road Junkie column for the newspaper. I attended a condensed class, which taught me  how to prep, clean, paint, distress, and seal a small piece of furniture. Normally, the class is three hours and cost $50 and includes all supplies. 

The Village Marketplace is a Dixie Belle paint premier retailer, which means they are the only store in this zip code that sell the paint and products.
I came to the class with a stool that had seen better days.
I chose In the Navy blue to paint it. Confession time: I have never painted a piece of furniture before. I have painted many walls so I was very nervous about this.

It started with prepping the stool by using a putty knife to scrape away loose pieces of paint. The 150 grit sandpaper was used to sand everything down.
After using  Krud Kutter to takes off the grime, it was paint time.
As you can see from the photo, the stool turned out pretty well. I was worried that I would mess something up.
This will not be my last time. As Ed , who did the class, put it, "It is not hard. It is just a learning experience. It's just paint. You can always change it if you don't like it."

For information about the classes or the store, email thevillagemarketplace@outlook.com, on Facebook at The Village Marketplace or on Instagram at thevillagemarketplacesc.

The finished product

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stopping a downward spiral

COVID is the worst

BOOK REVIEW: The Other Emily by Dean Koontz